Friday, July 8, 2011

Britton, oh Britton. How you make my head spin!

After reading this article OVER AND OVER, I think I finally have my head wrapped around the content he was trying to convey.

Question.

How does poetic writing differ from expressive writing? I’m having a difficult time determining the difference. Would poetic writing reach more of an audience then expressive writing? What I get from this article is that expressive writing is more intimate. Poetic writing is written for its own sake. Would a love letter be expressive, or poetic? It seems to me that it would be poetic in the lovey-dovey poem sense, but in this literary sense, it must be expressive. I’m writing to a specific audience. It’s not meant for the greater population.  Now, how can we move from expressive to poetic and still keep the original meaning intact?

Visualize.
I visualize expression as a piece of writing geared for a particular audience, full of tone and emotion. I think of a piece written about a family reunion. Details of specific events and specific family members named by name. Probably details and information only a specific audience would understand. Inside jokes about grandpa, describing the change in the old farm, house, etc. Now, I visualize a poetic piece of writing about family reunions. It would be an overview of a typical family reunion. Nothing specific about specific people and places, but a general piece about family reunions.

Predict.
I predict that I will fail miserably upon trying to construct a poetic piece from my family reunion expression piece. J hehe. I suppose transitioning into a poetic piece would mean taking out the inside jokes and personal detail, and while stepping back, looking at the story as a spectator rather than as a participant.  I predict that I would have to write and rewrite several times, each time removing more of the personal details and make it more general.

Connect.
I feel like this article really connected myself to the text. I read this article and thought I had a decent understanding of it. Ha. Not even close. When it was time to, oh lets say, blog about it, I realize that I had nowhere near the understanding I thought I had. In the class activity of placing types of writing on the appropriate posters, I put things in the wrong category. After the group activity and presentations of each writing type, I feel I have a much better grasp on the information. :)

Respond.
Now that I have a better grasp, I think I would be better prepared to make an expressive piece of writing into a poetic piece. Yay! I'm gunna give it a shot....I'll let you know how it goes!






2 comments:

  1. I think we all put things in the wrong categories, Becky. It is hard to figure out what each thing is, and even Britton thought there were transitional categories between the three categories he defined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing the shades of grey is a good thing. I'm glad that you struggled through Britton until you got a grip on what he was trying to say. Wouldn't it be nice if he could just say it plainly?

    ReplyDelete