Thursday, July 7, 2011

Moffett-Blog #2

               Moffett’s writing was very interesting.  I put a plus mark over quite a few things, as well as several question marks. One of the questions I had regarded the what is happening, what happened, and what happens.  I had trouble differentiating between what happened and what happens. As we discussed this in our group I think we may have some to a conclusion. The what is happening is a step by step description of the event.  Not too much thought goes into this. It seems to slide off the tongue with no editing, as you will. What happened has more thought in it. More time to process the events and think about how it will be stated. Then what happens means an account /generalization of the event as it may happen numerous times. I have an example in my head that may better organize my thoughts. Let me give it a try.

                What is happening.  Let’s say I’m on the phone with my mom, watching my daughter’s baseball game. I’d give her the play-by-play. “Kaylyn is up to bat…strike one, darn it. Strike two, shit!…Ok, the pitcher is about to throw ball number 3…hit! She hit it! Oooohhh, she threw the bat. Hope she’s not penalized for that. She’s running so fast! Rounding first and she made it to second! She is so proud!!!”  I explained in order, the sequence of events as it was happening.

What happened. I’m on the phone later that evening with my mom, describing the same scene. “Oh mom, you should have seen it! Kaylyn hit the ball so far! She ran as fast as she could and made it all the way to second base!” This time, I left out or omitted information that I didn’t deem necessary to retell. Like the fact that she had two strikes before her hit. That information didn’t need to be said.

                What happens.  So I may say, “Kaylyn’s games are usually about 1 hour. A typical game has 3 innings, giving each team 3 chances to hit and bat. Kaylyn is a great batter. She usually misses the first pitch, but generally hits the second or third. She is fast, and most of the time, she makes it beyond first base. No matter what though, an occasional strike out, a grounder that gets her out at first, or a home run. She is always smiling!” So in this stage, I’m describing the account as it will continue to happen.

Did I hit the nail anywhere NEAR the head on this???

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you attacked this article head on by writing in each tense. My understanding of the article parallels yours, so I say we are at least using the same hammer.

    ReplyDelete