Monday, July 11, 2011

Where I'm from

I am from PBS cartoons while sitting against the dinning room table leg,
From the scent of Folgers coffee and cereal with watery, non-fat milk.
I am from the “barn” on the corner,  the red house that many neighborhood kids called home, and the playhouse that held many secrets, with chalk written notes on the walls.

I am from the gigantic rhubarb bush, and the overgrown birch whose long wispy branches housed the numerous caterpillars that I quickly uprooted, put in an empty milk jug and made my pets.

I’m from Swedish meatballs and family prayers.

From soldiers of various wars and several generations of nurses.

I am from date nights and after school snacks, and from my oh, so dreadful weekly piano lessons.

I’m from “You’re my favorite” and “love you, love you, love you” and Jesus loves me.

I’m from Sunday morning church.

I’m from Boise ID, grandparents married for 62 years,  and a great- grandma of 100 years old.

I’m from scotch-a-roos, home-made popsicles, to tater tot casserole.

I'm from my sister throwing stools at me, to my Minnesota Twins pennant which after years of being hung on my bedroom wall is now safely tucked away in my hope chest as it harbors sweet memories of my dearest grandfather.

4 comments:

  1. This exercise brought out some random facts and also provided some great leads for future writing. I wonder what stories the pennant would tell you about your grandfather??? What on earth are scotch-a-roos? Never mind; don't tell me...they sound too fattening!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nephew Gavin went through a stage where he collected caterpillars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. There are so many stories in this poem. Have you shared it with your family yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "and the playhouse that held many secrets, with chalk written notes on the walls."

    is my favorite line from this poem. Thanks for sharing where you're from. :)

    ReplyDelete